Friday, July 10, 2009

Humpty Dumpty

Last nite, Claire was singing the Humpty Dumpty song and I tried to teach her the rhyme. I also told her that Humpty Dumpty is an egg, that's y all the king's men & horses can't save him. I doubt Claire will understand this part.

Anyway, I was thinking how this nursery rhyme was derived. Is it derived in Europe where the Royals' children put an egg on the wall and it dropped on the wall? Coz i guess only them will have the power to summon the king's men & horses.

Then it occurred to me about the sabo games during birthdays in my school days. It was a trend to throw flour and eggs at the birthday boy or girl to celebrate their birthday. The throwers are the happy ones but the poor birthday boy or girl will have a hard time cleaning up.

I recalled that in my JC days, our principal, Sister M punished a group of students by making them clean the whole canteen and field for a week for doing the throw flour & eggs birthday stunt. Back then, alot of schoolmates were talking about how ANAL Sister M was for punishing them for such a small thing.

Sister M bought up this issue during assemble and lectured us on wasting food. Now, I totally agreed with Sister M for punishing my school mates.

Flour & eggs are food and by doing the birthday stunt, they are wasting food. In my parents' generation, eggs are like a luxury food item which you only get to eat during birthdays or celebrations. Furthermore, there are so many people in Africa dying of famine. We the fortunate ones, why should we waste precious food like that?

Come to think of it, I was quite stupid to let my classmates celebrate my birthday with this too. I guess back then, i just want to be accepted as part of the crowd. Given my personality, I m sure I will flare up big time for them doing this to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment